5 Tips for taking a home inventory
1. Do a room at a time. Break up the job into smaller parts so that it doesn’t seem so daunting.
2. Make sure you list items and serial numbers. Serial numbers are important if the item is stolen. The police can get the item back to you. Pictures of the rooms and individual items is helpful also. Attach any receipts or appraisals that you may have for the items in the rooms.
3. Update the list periodically when you get new items.
4. Keep the list of the item list, pictures, receipts and appraisals in a safety deposit box outside the house in case anything happens.
5. Backup your photos, data, inventory information, financial records, and any other data you have. Use the 3-2-1 Backup Rule:
The 3-2-1 backup rule is an easy-to-remember acronym for a common approach to keeping your data safe in almost any failure scenario. The rule is: keep at least three (3) copies of your data, and store two (2) backup copies on different storage media, with one (1) of them located offsite. To clarify, let’s take a look at each point of this rule.
Apps for Home Inventory
- Sortly (iOS, Android): Our super simple inventory management software makes it easy for businesses and teams to keep track of their inventory effortlessly. Try it for free today.
- Memento Database (iOS, Android, Desktop): Track and organize anything with the extremely customizable database for Android & Desktop
- Nest Egg (iOS): Nest Egg is a suite of intelligent inventory solutions, featured in the New York Times, Denver Post, Boston Globe, ABC, CNBC and many other media outlets. More than 6 million items scanned and counting!
- MyStuff (iOS): t’s now easier than ever to keep track of all your stuff. Organize your collections, music, movies, books, video games, electronics, wine lists, jewelry, appliances, office supplies, or anything else in your possession with this easy to use but powerful database and inventory application.
- Magic Home Inventory (Android): Categorized and hierarchical inventory with advanced search and visualization.
- BluePlum Home Inventory (iOS): The most comprehensive Home Inventory application on the market that will help you make and maintain inventory for any property you own. It lets you organize your belongings in collections, rooms, locations and/or assign one or more tags to each one. It lets you add photos, videos, receipts, manuals, contracts and other documents related to your possessions.
- Smart Inventory System by NonZeroApps (Android): It is easy to keep track of products with our application. QR Codes and barcodes can be related with items, groups or tags. And detail pages of the objects are opened by scanning those QR codes or barcodes. By registering to the system, you can backup your data to the cloud easily. In addition by using importing and exporting it is now very easy to transfer your present lists to the application.
- All My Movies (Windows): The best way to archive, organize, track and maintain your movie collection
- Back2me (MAC): Are you feeling not so well? You want a shelf on the wall screws, go to the basement, open the tool cabinet and find that the drill is not there. Whom I have borrowed it? Or do you want anshen on a rainy day your favorite movie on DvD or Blu-ray, but the DvD is not on the shelf. Whom have I the loan? That is now over, thanks Back2Me.
- Itemtopia (IOS): The Home & Personal Items App! We keep your items, services, receipts & every note safe and secure – and we alert you to recalls on your vehicles and consumer products. For free!
- Warranty Pal (IOS) mobile App helps to keep your documents, receipts or warranty cards safe in hand, alerts you the important dates of reminders, enables you to contact the authority and provided with many more attractive features.
- Packrat (Android) Visual PackRat Plus Collector’s Software allows the collector to easily catalog and keep an inventory of their collectibles. We have developed over 35 different types of collector’s software and tailored each one specifically to that collection.
- HomeManage (Windows) the best home inventory software to organize and track your household inventory. Download a free trial today